Irish Translation – “Baile Uí Dhálaigh” – “O’Dálaigh’s Townland”
Council Area – Mid Ulster District Council
Ballygawley is a village and townland in County Tyrone. It is approximately 13 miles southwest of Dungannon, near the meeting of the A5 Omagh to Monaghan and A4 Dungannon to Enniskillen roads.
It is a compact village which sits on the Ballygawley Water, a tributary of the River Blackwater. The village could be described as the entrance to the Clogher Valley. The village is a distinctive ‘L’ shape, with the town centre at the junction of Main Street and Church Street. At one time Ballygawley had its own railway station, (on the narrow gauge Clogher Valley Railway Line). It was opened on 2nd May 1887 and closed on 1st January 1942.
The Parish of Ballygawley is also known as “Errigal-Kerogue” or “Errigal-Kieran”, supposedly from the dedication of an ancient Church to St. Kieran, (Ciarán of Clonmacnoise).
The Ballygawley River is a popular tourist attraction, supplying the finest of freshwater fishing in Ireland. The original hydro-electric power station at the old Dungannon Road is being rebuilt to provide a large amount of the town’s energy.
Photos below: (Left) Ballygawley Presbyterian Church (Right) Ballygawley Church of Ireland