Irish Translation – “An Port Mór” – “The Great Fort”
Council Area – Armagh, Banbridge and Craigavon Borough Council
Blackwatertown is situated on the old road between Armagh and Dungannon. It is connected by a stone bridge to the old village of Clonfeacle which is now considered part of Blackwatertown Village.
In 1959 an English Fort was built at Blackwatertown to control incursions and attacks from the O’Neill’s in Tyrone. The Battle of Yellow Ford is a famous battle site 2 miles outside Armagh where Hugh O’Neill defeated Henry Bagenal who was coming from Armagh to relieve to besieged fort there.
Blackwatertown was an important trading post on the Ulster Canal and River Blackwater, exporting corn and potatoes and importing supplies of coal and timber from Coalisland and Belfast. It is still possible to sail from Lough Neagh all the way up the River Blackwater to the village of Blackwatertown.