Irish Translation – “Cionn Aird” – “Head/Top of The Height/Hill”
Council Area – Mid Ulster District Council
Caledon is a small village and townland in County Tyrone with a strong Georgian influence in its architecture. It is located in the south east of the county in the Parish of Aghaloo, close to the border of Counties Armagh and Monaghan. The village is a designated conservation area and located where the River Blackwater turns sharply to flow northeast to Benburb.
The village is home to the Earl of Caledon, (Lord Caledon) and the Alexander family, as well as previously being home to Sir Pheilim (Feilim) O’Neill, the leader of the Irish Rising, (also known as the Great Rebellion) in Ireland in 1641, and John Foster McCreight, the first Premier of British Columbia.
Caledon started life in late medieval times, it was known as Kinard (or Kinaird) meaning ‘high head’ or ‘top of the hill’, however in later times the name Caledon could have come from Captain William Hamilton after his native Scotland. It could also be a corruption of the word ‘Culligan’, a townland within the demesne, or – according to an old Church of Ireland directory for the Armagh Diocese, it could mean “fort in the marshy meadow”.
The village at one time had its own railway station, on the narrow gauge Clogher Valley Railway Line. It was opened on 2nd May 1887 and closed on 1st January 1942. Tynan and Caledon railway station on the mainline Great Northern Railway (Ireland) opened on 25th May 1858 and closed on 1st October 1957.
Photos: (Left) The Famine Wall which runs between Caledon and Glaslough. (Right) The clocktower of the Courthouse.
- Website Link
- Contact Email
Caledon Regeneration Partnership was established in 1994 to work for the conservation and protection of the village’s built and natural heritage. Caledon Regeneration Partnership secured funding to restore 28 historic properties in the village and develop the Caledon River Walk from the village to the Dredge bridge. Please contact Sandra Mortimer if you want to visit Caledon or find more about the village