Irish Translation – “Cluain Eois” – “Eos’s Meadow”
Council Area – Monaghan County Council
Clones is a small town in west County Monaghan close to the border of County Fermanagh. It was the site of a monastic settlement in the 6th century called Dartraige Con-innsi. St Tiarnach’s Abbey was build there in the early 6th century and was dedicated to St Peter and St Pau. The ruins of a 12th century abbey can still be found in the town along with a sarcophagus reputed to have been build to house the remains of St Tiarnach, along with a 9th century round tower and high cross.
Clones lacemaking is a tradition that has been passed down from generation to generation and is still going strong today.
From the mid 1850’s for over 100 years, The Great Northern Railway linked the town to Dundalk, Enniskillen, Cavan and Armagh. The Ulster Canal also flowed through Clones. Though now disused there is the hope that sometime in the future the section of the canal between Clones and the Erne will be restored.