Irish Translation – “Scairbh Na gCaorach” – “Crossing of the Sheep”
Council Area – Monaghan County Council
Emyvale is a village and townland in the north of County Monaghan. It sits upon the main Dublin to Derry and Letterkenny Road.
In the 8th century, the McKenna Clan arrived, and by the 12th century they had established an independent kingdom in North Monaghan, which would last for the next 450 years. Their final defeat came at the Battle of Drumbanagher, (near Glaslough), in March 1688.
In 1959, a Bronze Age tomb was discovered during interior building renovation work at “The High House”, located on Main Street; placing the village at over 3000 years old. Unfortunately for historians, the urn and other artifacts found were inadvertently destroyed when the tomb was being excavated.
In more recent times, Emyvale was immortalised by the renowned nineteenth-century Irish writer William Carleton as part of his “Traits and Stories of The Irish Peasantry” series. The volume, which included “The Fair at Emyvale”, a short story based upon the writer’s experiences of the north Monaghan landscape in which he was educated as a young man, is recognised as one of the most significant commentaries on Irish life in the Victorian era.
The Blue Bridge, situated 2km west of Emyvale is reputed to be one of the best designed bridges in the area. Built by Matthew Anketell in 1801 it is reputed have been one of William Carleton’s favourite resting places and is mentioned in this story “The Fair at Emyvale”.
Photos: Below (Left) River Mountain Water Below (Right) Main Street, Emyvale