Irish Translation – “Baile na Lorgan” – “Town on the long hilltop ridge”
Council Area – Mid Ulster District Council
Fivemiletown was known before the Plantation of Ulster as Ballylurgan. The village is most famous for its creamery, which began as a co-operative in 1898 by Hugh de Fellonburg Montgomery. Fivemiletown Creamery originally made butter and milk, but now gives its name to a specialist range of cheeses. The Clogher Valley Railway ran from Tynan to Maguiresbridge, with Fivemiletown being one of its main stations. The old station house is still one of the landmarks in the village. The trains stopped at the Buttermarket on Main Street and the Creamery to be loaded or unloaded with goods. After the Second World War, the growth of road transport made railways almost redundant, and when the Northern Ireland Government learned that the Clogher Valley Railway had operated as a loss for 27 years because of growing road transport, it recommended the line be closed. The last train ran on the last day of 1941, bringing to an end one of Fivemiletown’s most characteristic features.
Fivemiletown Community Development Association have an office at Unit 6, The Buttermarket, Fivemiletown, BT75 0PW.
(Limited Opening Hours)
Photos: (Left) Fivemiletown Main Street (Right) The Valley Hotel, a landmark on the main Street