Irish Translation – “Muineachán”- “Brake” (A thickly overgrown area)
Council Area – Monaghan County Council
In 1801 Monaghan Town and the Rossmore Estate became the property of the Westenra family. They remained as the principal landlords there until the early twentieth century. Their ancestral seat was at Rossmore Castle a large country house on the edge of Monaghan Town built mainly in the neo-Jacobean style.
Monaghan town is made up of four interconnecting squares – Market Square, Church Square, The Diamond and Old Cross Square and is noted for the quality of its nineteenth century architecture.