Irish Translation – “Tuíneán” – “Watercourse”
Council Area – Armagh, Banbridge and Craigavon Borough Council
Tynan is a village in County Armagh. It is situated on a small hilltop close to where five roads and the Caledon, Tynan Abbey and Castle Leslie Estates meet. The village has always had a close relationship with the Tynan Abbey Estate which has been owned for many years by the Stronge Family. The surrounding countryside is characterised by distinctive parkland landscape, gate lodges, estate buildings and boundary walls. This together with a series of buildings associated with the Clogher Valley Railway and the Ulster Canal, have combined to create a rich built heritage.
Tynan was formerly served by mainline trains of the Great Northern Railway (Ireland) and was also the eastern terminus of the narrow gauge Clogher Valley Railway (which opened in 1887 and closed in 1941). Tynan railway station (on the Clogher Valley Railway, opened on 2 May 1887 and closed on 1 January 1942). Tynan and Caledon railway stations on the mainline, opened on 25 May 1858 and shut on 1 October 1957.
In 1993 Tynan won the status of the most well preserved rural Irish village.
Tynan village is also known for its association with early Christianity.