Errigal Old Church and Holy Well
The graveyard contains many gravestones engraved with the ancient McKenna coat of arms. During the 18th century, upright headstones came into fashion and many of these were decorated in a very ornate and stylised way. As the sandstone used was of local origin and they are of the same cut, it is probable that the stones were blanks cut by the McKays of Glennan of Glaslough, who were stone-cutters registered in the Coote Statistical Survey of 1801. They form part of an extremely distinct group carved in North Monaghan, South Tyrone and East Fermanagh between circa 1720 and 1780, and are probably the work of a single workshop of stone-cutters and wandering journeyman who did their work in the area as required.
Directions: Travelling north from Emyvale on the road to Aughnacloy, follow the signs. Just beyond the Church of Ireland is Errigal Graveyard and the ruin of St. Mellan’s, a 10th century church. One of the oldest headstones dates back to 1670.Back