Clogher Valley Railway Headquarters
The Clogher Valley Railway opened in 1887, linking the G.N.R stations at Tynan and Maguiresbridge. The 3ft guage network stretching 37 miles was officially opened on 2nd May 1887, by Major Mervyn Knox-Browne, the High Sheriff of County Tyrone and operated until the final, sentimental journey from Fivemiletown on 31st December 1941.
The railway’s headquarters were in Aughnacloy and the motive power on the line was provided by six engines called Caledon, Errigal, Blackwater, Fury, Colebrooke and Erne. As well as the main stations there were almost 30 roadside halts with such names as Tullyvar, Annaghilla, Ballagh and Tattymukle. The railway played an important role in the social and economic life of the Clogher Valley, being of significant importance on Market Days, excursions to Bangor and Bundoran and in the transport of agricultural produce. There are many stories told of life on the Clogher Valley Railway which are now embodied in the local folklore.
Directions: Approaching from the main Ballygawley Road, take the Dungannon Road to the left in the centre of the village. The old station is on the left, approximately 1/2 a mile down this road.