The North Cross and The South Cross
The small village of Eglish is located approximately 5 miles south-west of Dungannon. There are precious survivals here from an important early Church site that had the necessary patronage to be able to commission at least two stone crosses over 1,000 years ago.
The North Cross
Some time in the 1970s, the North Cross was knocked over and damaged, and both crosses eventually came into state care in 1989. The head of the North Cross was restored at the time; it was also given a simple shaft, reset in the base, and re-erected in the graveyard. The North Cross head had a ring with circular projections in the inner circumference, and the stone within the ring is un-pierced, but deeply sunken on the north side. Fine overall interlace creates a cross at the centre, which links the North Cross with others in the Blackwater Valley area giving it a probably creation date of the late 9th or 10th century.
The South Cross
First noted in 1930, lying loose in the graveyard, it is now mounted on a plinth. The broken cross head is similar in form to the North Cross, but at the edge, mouldings run off the top. The South Cross originally had a separate stone finial.