Servite Priory – Benburb
Known as “Our Lady of Benburb Servite Priory” – Benburb Centre is situated in East Tyrone, about seven miles from the city of Armagh and seven miles from the town of Dungannon. The beautiful old Manor house was built by the Bruce family in the 1880’s and has had several owners before becoming a priory and centre. Used in its long history as a private residence for the Bruce family, an English and American Army hospital during the Second World War, and since 1947 a priory and conference centre run by the Servite Order.
It was purchased in 1947 by Fr. James M. Keane OSM of Chicago, USA on behalf of the then ‘Our Lady of Sorrows’ Province of the Servants of Mary, who wished to open a Servite Foundation in Ireland.
Since coming to Benburb, the Servites have maintained an ‘open door’ policy to all of the community regardless of religion, and the Priory-Centre is seen as a haven where people can come and feel welcome.
The Priory Centre is open as a Pastoral, Retreat and Conference Centre with bedrooms, conference rooms, meeting rooms and catering facilities. It is located in an area of outstanding natural and scenic beauty and of great historical importance, and gateway to the Benburb Valley Park, Benburb Castle and Bawn.
The Priory and Centre attracts groups from every walk of life who come to meet and discuss the many complex issues which affect their lives. It is also used as a recreational facility for groups wishing to expand their skills in cultural activities or for those wishing to participate in courses in spiritual and human development. Some of the groups who come are inter-denominational and they spend their time here living, working, praying and recreating together.
For many, the Priory and Centre provides them with that freedom of association so often denied them in their home or local environment. They soon learn that it is okay to enjoy the company of people who come from different backgrounds and leave having made new friends.
Address: Servite Priory, Main Street, Benburb BT71 7JZ
Photos (Left) View of the River Blackwater from the grounds of the Priory (Right) The PrioryBack