The Fair Green & Weighbridge, Killylea
Killylea was once well know for its monthly Fair which attracted traders from across all of Ireland. The activity centred on the Fair Green where traders struck deals on horses, cattle and sheep. Some of the locals would provide lodgings and meals for the farmers whilst others rented out the back of their houses for cattle storage at “thrupence a beast”. The Bank of Ireland would set up a temporary bank on Fair Days and would have a police escort as so much money changed hands. The Fair was one of the highlights of the local farming calendar but in later years it struggled to compete with Armagh Mart and it eventually came to an end in the 1950’s.
Directions: The remains of the old weighbridge can be found on the Fair Green in the village. Coming from Caledon direction, the Fair Green is located on the right of the Main Street, before the turn for the Fellow’s Hall Road.Back